3/17/23

UTOPIA WORLD OF NEIGBOURS

 


Utopia World of Neighbors, we are a women & Young girls lead Community-Based Non-Governmental Organization in Kyenjojo District, Uganda dedicated to the transformation of the lives of the common people in our homeland. UTOPIA World of Neighbours was established since 2007 as Uganda Targeting orphans in Rural Areas (UTOPIA) and later amended the name to UTOPIA WORLD OF NEIGBOURS to cater for general community needs where neighbors are helping neighbors. 

Our Mission - We strive to Transform the lives of marginalized people, especially those who have lost their dear parents and have no one to take care of them, women and young girls.

Our Vision - We aim at making the lives of neighbors in need perfect through spiritual, social, and economic development.  We envision a community free from Climate injustices, child abuse, poverty, disease, and illiteracy.

Our Goal - We work to improve the quality of life of vulnerable children and orphans by providing education, giving care, offering love, and extending support.  But we don't stop there.  We struggle to empower and humanize the entire rural population throughout Uganda.

Our Philosophy - We believe every human is a unique yet interconnected individual, and that everyone has the right to good health care and basic needs and should be able to access means to a sustainable and fulfilling life.

Specific Objectives

1. To improve the quality of life of the orphans and vulnerable people by establishing a permanent home, school, and health center for them

2. To train caregivers in skills so as to enable vulnerable children to access adequate care, love, and support.

3.  To provide adequate education to orphans from the very beginning, make them active citizens, and push them ahead to a better future

4.  To raise awareness in the community and outside world on the need to protect and support vulnerable people and the rights they deserve.

5.  To advocate for the rights of orphans by training them, and providing resources for change whenever rights are violated.

6. To support the work of God by funding church planting and community church projects across Uganda and elsewhere 

Core Values

·                     Equality for all - God made all people equally human; our organization is committed to a development that promotes equality,

·                     Rights and Dignity for all - Even orphans and others among the most vulnerable deserve access to their basic human needs.

·                     Stewardship - In an age and country plagued by corruption, embezzlement, ecological rape, misallocation of funds and incompetency among leaders, we must represent and live in solidarity with everybody in order to avoid exploitation of both humans and the environment.

·                     Partnership - We must welcome and respect ongoing international initiatives and properly enforced policies which give support to vulnerable children and disadvantaged people in order to fight poverty, ignorance, and diseases such as Malaria and HIV/AIDS. 

Our activities are done in unison with fellow humanitarian groups and in collaboration with any stakeholders. 

Founding Director's Statement

 UTOPIA TO EVERY CHILD

When I came to realize problems of Uganda, I lost my heart to the precious children. After spending 1 month thinking of the project, it was time for me to return home. I asked about 53 orphan girls attending school in Kyongera . “If I could do anything for you, what would it be?” I was not prepared for the answer because by then I was young, at the age of 14 years, living along the orphans and experiencing their problems firsthand. I knew what I could do to help but I couldn’t do it alone. Everyone used to wonder how a young boy could start a charity. Some officers during registration process would interview me and I would tell them we young people also have the ability to air out our problems. The #1 thing the orphans we serve ask for is that someone just knows their name!! Imagine being 9 years old and not having someone love you! We invite you to bring utopia to a Child and offer them a chance for life! It only costs $100 a month to cover all their expenses!!! Housing, food, school fees, school uniforms, supplies, transportation (think how much we spend per month for our children)! These are bright young people who can make a HUGE difference in their country with a good education. These are children for whom boarding school is a choice that can literally save their lives.

PROGRAMS AND PROJECTS:

1. Accelerating clean energy in Western Uganda region project. 

UTOPIA WORLD OF NEIGBOURS is a community-based Organization dedicated to various issues such as training and development services, health education and environment protection; We struggle to empower and humanize the entire rural population throughout Uganda. UTOPIA is run by the executive board, which is elected after every three years, it comprises of the Chairperson, vice/chairperson, secretary, Treasure and committee members, UTOPIA’s management both secretariat and the board is managed by women comprising of the 85% of the management team both board, secretariat and volunteers' teams. Currently we run an environmentally friendly sustainable renewable energy project; UTOPIA has prioritized in solving the highest community problem which is lack of light, purified water [safe drink water] and cooking with low carbon technologies. Traditional source energy is very dangerous and a clean and it’s expensive in long run since most of them are not renewable in nature. The local spend alt of money on energy for light and cooking through use of kerosene and firewood, Scores of people in rural districts of Uganda such as Kyenjojo, Kyegegwa, Kagadi have no access to electricity. UTOPIA is working with ENVENTURE (https://www.enventureenterprises.org/) and Western Uganda FBOs Network (www.westernugandafbonetwork.blogspot.ug) to continue providing the finest clean energy solutions in the hard-to-reach areas through careful analysis, attentive customer support, and cost-effective solutions.

2. WOMEN EMPOWERMENT GROUP PROGRAM

Warning: This post will not do justice to the beauty that is this women's group. They are the strongest, most hard working, dedicated, beautiful group of women I have EVER seen, and I almost feel like I am doing them a disservice by not putting up a SERIOUS, well thought out post. But ALAS: Time is not my friend (that, and the power in Kyenjojo has been scream-inducing chaotic recently, so better to get the post up than to have everything cut out right in the middle. A quick overview: I met this group through Moses, my friend who started a small NGO called UTOPIA along with a group of neighbors in the village of Kyongera (pronounced: "Chone-gera"). Before I even met them, the women had a savings scheme in which they pooled their money every week or two that they all met, and one lucky woman would get a loan on medicine or a business-related expense. She would then pay it back at a later date. Since meeting them, I've introduced the concept of a Village Savings and Loan Association, and their savings has increased from around 60 thousand shillings to around 750 thousand! They are ON IT. In addition to the concepts, they borrowed from the savings and loan setup, they also get together to make arts and crafts. When my Dad and sister Catherine came to Uganda, we all got together for a big day-o-fun, and when Dad and Cat left Uganda, they had a large supply of baskets, necklaces and other craft work from this group. So: If you are interested in getting a piece of BEAUTIFUL Ugandan craftwork and you are fortunate enough to know my father, contact him and, if available, he can show you what he's got [In fact, the women are holding each piece that they made and sent with my Dad! So, you'll actually know the women (somehow) who made your craft!]. We're in the process of setting up a supply line where the women ship more products to us by Airmail, we sell it in The States, and 100% of the proceeds (less shipping) goes back to the women Ok, without further ado... the women of the Kyongera women's group. (Note: I intend to interview all the women, but at the time I only have three. I've included excerpts from the interviews (quite short), put them more into a statement form and attached them to the pictures). 


Beatrice Mbabazi, “Adyeeri” 

[This is Moses' mother!] My name is Beatrice Mbabazi, and my empaako [nickname] is “Adyeri” [Pronounced: Aw-dyeh-ree]. I am 42 years old, and I have eight children. Education is very important to me. I completed Primary 2 [The US equivalent of 1st grade], and there are many things I would be doing today if I had a better education. It is very important that my children receive one. To help support my family, I used to make money by making crafts such as sweaters and baskets. If I have a surplus of food from digging, I will also sell that. When the yield is poor, it is only for the family. I can earn ten-thousand shillings [bout 3.33 USD] in a month. This money is not enough. There are times when I get sick and must use the money for sick affairs [hospital bills], and what I had intended for the money to go to is diverted to the sickness. When it doesn't go towards medical expenses, I spend the money I earn on materials for arts and crafts for the women’s group. I also buy scholastic materials for my kids, and some of the money is a contribution for school fees. It is the lack of income generating activities that is preventing the development of Uganda today. If we have something to do [i.e. work], we can do these things and make money. And by hard work we can have a better life. There are some jobs in Uganda, but often they are only for educated people. That means that uneducated people don’t get jobs or are paid very little. With the money made by selling my baskets in The United States, I hope to invest in making a clinic so that that money goes on generating. Or I would buy a certain place or area where we can continue making crafts so that we can act as an example to others so that they too make crafts, sell them and make an income for themselves. The final interview question: "Tell me about the happiest moment in your life." Her answer: What made me happiest in life was when I got a home and got married, [Baptist, her husband, clarifies here: “That is a home,” he says, “when a man and a woman get married. It is a home, not a house.”] and had children. In the future, I want peace and a source of income so that my home stands.

Maurene Tusiime, "Abwooli"

Edrona Kabahindi, "Atwooki"

Mary Balyebwoha, "Akiiki"

Victoria Timbigamba, "Abwooli" 

Violet Banura, "Ateenyi"

My name is Violet Banura, my empaako is “Ateenyi”, and I am 20 years old. I have one parent, my dad who is a peasant farmer, and my mother is dead. I also have one brother and five sisters. [When I asked about her occupation, I got this response]: [Baptist says: “That is a completely dead question for her, she is finding it hard for her to answer.” He said this after Violet answered, “Tinsubura.” which in Rutooro means, “I am not able.”]  “Oli mulimi?” I ask (You are a farmer?). “Ehhh.” (Yes.) “Olima ki?” (What do you grow?) “Ebitakuuli, ebijimba, ebilaaya…” (Sweet potatoes, beans and irish potatoes.) “Nootunda ebijumaa?” (Do you sell those vegetables?) “Tintunda.” (I don’t sell them) [meaning she is a subsistence farmer.] I am helping Uganda's development by digging and making crafts. I will consider myself developed when I buy a cow. For now, my goals are to continue raising my babies [in addition to her three children, she is also raising a child of her deceased sister. The father wasn't taking care of the child and neither was her (Violet's) dad. So Violet took the child into her house to raise it.] The final interview question: "Tell me about the happiest moment in your life." Her answer: Having the babies were the happiest moments in my life.

 



Consolant Kirungi, "Atwooki"

 

Stanley Rubaire, "Apuuli"



Clophas Kasangaki, "Ateenyi"

 



Oliver Kakulilemu, "Abwooli"

 


Sylvia Natugonza, "Adyeeri"

 My name is Sylvia Natugonza, and my empaako is "Adyeri". I am thirteen years old, and I am in Primary 7 [the US equivalent of 6th grade]. I have five sisters and two brothers. The problem in Uganda today is there is not enough education. When I am not in school, I like to make crafts to sell. With the money I earn from the crafts sold in The United States, I will create progress in my life. With it, I will buy more material for crafts and will make them over the holidays. The final interview question: "Tell me about the happiest moment in your life."  Her answer: [Before giving her answer, I must state this: After hearing the question and giving it POSSIBLY two seconds of thought, her face erupted into a brilliant smile… the girl was literally beaming, and she gave me this answer.] The day when you came with Catherine and your Dad… that was the happiest day of my life.


The most beautiful women I've ever met. 

Thanks for reading! 

DONATE NOW

To donate, please here is our Bank information.

Bankers of the Organization
Centenary Bank
Kyenjojo Branch
Account name: UTOPIA
Account number: 5620400442

Contact us. 

Email. utopiauganda@gmail.com 

         utopia456@hotmail.com 

Telephone / WhatsApp. +256786755475


No comments:

Post a Comment